In the Spring term the Scouts are brushing up on Emergency Aid with the help of our friendly paramedic Mike. Emergency Aid is a staged badge and several Scouts have already done Stages 1 & 2. We are aiming to get everyone up to the level required for Emergency Aid 3.
In our first session we covered:
- Know what to do at the scene of an accident.
- Know when and how to contact the emergency services.
- Be able to respond to the needs of an unconscious patient. Know how to open an airway, give CPR and how to place in the recovery position.
- Know how to deal with major bleeding.
- Know how to deal with burns and scalds.
- Know how to deal with choking.
In our second session we shall be dealing with:
- Know how to safeguard against the effects of heat. Know how to recognise and treat heat exhaustion.
- Know how to safeguard against the effects of cold. Know how to recognise and treat hypothermia.
- Recognise the symptoms of shock and how to treat a casualty.
In preparation for this, Scouts need to be familiar with three signs and three symptoms of Heat Exhaustion and Hypothermia. Remember that a sign is something that you as a first aider can be aware of; a symptom is something that the patient is experiencing. Please check out the relevant links under the badge and come prepared to share your knowledge on 14th March!